Leggings - the making of a tried and true pattern

Friday, April 15, 2016

Leggings are the true work horse of the wardrobes around here.  This year I reluctantly traced out the largest size in my tried and true pattern.  I find it hard to believe that I really have made this pattern in all sizes from 3 to 8. While I've never written about these before you can see them in the background of many of our adventures over the years.


My favorite has to be yellow leggings.  They make every outfit awesome and have been made again and again in different sizes.  I sometimes wish I could just pull on a pair myself to brighten up dull moments.

I have used NewLook 6639.  As this have been a 6 year journey of legging making, this pattern is sadly out of print. The cover art has dated a little too. You need to look past it to see the magic. This pattern turns the smallest length of stretch fabric into beloved leggings.   The pattern uses 2 pieces (front and back) and sews up very quickly.  If you are looking for something similar, I'd recommend trying Simplicity 8105 or Kwiksew 3958.

In the mean time, I'm on the hunt for a new leggings pattern for my oldest daughter.  Sizes 8+ can be just a little harder to find.  There is the twist that you are no longer dressing toddlers or little kids.  Perhaps she might even be nudging the XS end of the women's patterns that I sew for myself.  Somehow I'm just not ready for that.  I'm delighting that E still spies sparkly fabric in the sewing room and lets me make her clothes.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *