Almost the Slowest Quilt

Sunday, March 13, 2011

On Monday, we started making quilts for Christchurch. As a group, we cut gossiped and stitched. I cut strip and strips of blue and green to make something. The something kept changing shape in my mind until I really didn’t know what I was making. By the time I got home, I realised that I didn’t need to make a new quilt for Christchurch. I had already started one. I started it six years ago.


This is Moni’s Wedding Quilt. The blocks are signed, in sharpie, by the guests at the wedding. The blocks had been waiting for me to get around to them. It’s all ready to go together in a rail fence pattern.

I have a new idea for the front*. I have a bundle of 0.3m cuts of Amy Butler Fabrics and I’m looking for a pattern. It has to be simple and quick because I don’t want to break my momentum in getting this finished. I saw something a few days ago. The title was along the lines of “open doors and window” but I can’t for the life of me find it. If you have any suggestions. Please le me know.

Now Moni’s house is shaken. Every brick has either fallen off, or been removed as a safety precaution. It’s time to get this quilt finished.

*The front was going to be a Tivaevae pattern based on native plants. I managed to complete one of the panels before my shoulders began to groan at the mere thought of if. I was miffed to see a similar quit on the cover of NZ quilter just weeks after I had cut two of the panels out. Looking back I was just ahead of my time.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi Amy, I'm a friend of Cat's and she has told me that the quilt she sent me was made by you. I just don't know how to thank you... I live just outside of Christchurch and as you would know the last month hasn't been much fun. To recieve a gift made with such thought and love has been humbling and I am so so grateful and appreciate so much the work that went into it. I couldn't send Cat an email for several days after I received as every time I went to sit down and write something I burst into tears. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. With much love and gratitude, Chris Kappelle

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *