Christmas Lists

Friday, December 05, 2008

The build up to Christmas is a time of lists. There are the fantastical rolls that Santa holds on the front of cookie boxes and then there are the everyday lists of things to be done before Christmas. I'm getting good at making the lists, not so good at ticking them off.

I have been making Christmas lists for a long time. As a child I collected the Christmas sections of magazines that were being thrown out. From these I put together a dream list, with a gastronomic focus -cookies, rum balls, candies and cakes. When Mum looked aghast at the list. I refined it a little more. With the help of my inner geek, I broke the list down into ingredients and gave mum a shopping list. I never got any further than the rumballs (adult supervised, of course) but at least I gave it a go.

This year is no different. A few weeks ago I started on the lists again, this time with less of a focus on my appetite. There are decorations to be made, tutorial I have book marked to try, gifts to get finished and a bit of cooking too. Hopefully I'll get a bit further down the list this time.


I have started off with some making mustard and dukkah, figuring with two batches of cooking I can get multiple gifts sorted. After a few years of mustard making, I have my extended family trained up. If they return the empty jars, I will return the jars to them, refilled. It appears to work, and keeps my lists eco-friendly too.

How are your lists going? I'd love to hear.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Yummy that mustard looks virry tasty.

    Here's my christmas list: walkie talkies for Harry (check!), russian dolls for sylvie (check!), bike shop voucher for simon (check!)...everything else...waiting for me to get around to it. I love the dukkah and mustard idea- yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year my lists are hopeless...because christmas day is to be celebrated away I have not done a thing. I havent even cooked a cake yet!!! But Im pulling out my preserves and jams etc and homemade soap from earlier in the year, oh and the hankie cases for the teacehrs etc, and some aprons I made for this years Christmas in Jan !!! Actaully now I look im more organised than i think. The homemade stuff just needs fancy labels and some plaid ribbon (does everyone like plaid as much as me?) and voila Im done. Santas list for the record is complete (does that include laybys still needing final payments tho?)
    Cheers from Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have much in the way of lists. But this Christmas is going to be a quiet one. I do however have a couple of projects to finish by Christmas. Well, one is a birthday present for my nephew who's birthday is 20 Dec. I have the day off tomorrow so I'm going to get to work and make some more progress on them. They always take longer than I think they will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a fan of lists. I make them most everyday. I am not very good at doing all the things on the lists though. I love your packaging for your mustard, what a great idea for a gift. Is it a family secret type of recipe, or one you might be willing to share?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. I've just sat here this morning and written my list. I too am very good at writing them but not so good at ticking them off. Oh there just seems to be so much to do in the next few weeks! I suppose I should get off the computer and go and do some of them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *